Question: What is skeletal system?
Answer: The skeletal system is the framework of bones that gives support to our body.
Question: Describe the different parts of the skeleton system.
Answer: The different parts of the skeleton system are:
- Skull: The skull acts like a helmet and protect the brain.
- Rib cage: The rib cage protects the heart and lungs.
- Backbone: The backbone surrounds and protects the spinal cord.
- Limbs: (Arms and legs) help us inn doing many activities and in moving from one place to another.
Question: What is a rib cage and how many pairs of ribs do maost people have.
Answer: Ribs form a cage of bones around the chest called the rib cage. Most people have 12 pairs of ribs.
Question: What is cartilage? Name any two organs of the human body that have cartilage.
Answer: Cartilage is a tough, elastic substance. It holds the bones together at the joints. Ears and nose have cartilage.
Question: Write any four functions of the skeletal system.
Answer: The functions of the skeletal system are:
- The skeleton gives shape and support to our body.
- It protects the soft internal organs:
(i) The skull protects the brain.
(ii) The rib cage protects the heart and the lungs.
(iii) The backbone protects the spinal cord.
- It allows the movement of different body parts.
- Many bones in our body are hollow. They are filled with a jelly-like substance called bone marrow. Blood cells are made in the bone marrow.