Question: Why did people from distant lands visit Surat?
Answer: People from distant lands visit Surat because:
- It was the emporium of western trade.
- It was the gateway for trade and also been called the gate to Mecca because many pilgrim ships set sail from here.
- Portuguese, Dutch and English had their factories and warehouses at Surat.
- Textiles of Surat were famous for their gold lace borders (zari).
- There were magnificent buildings and innumerable pleasure parks for the comfort of the people.
Question: How important were crafts persons for the building and maintenance of temples?
Answer: Crafts persons were very important for the building and maintenance of temples:
- These community consist of goldsmiths, bronze smiths, blacksmiths, masons and carpenters which were essential to the building of temples.
- They were also helpful in the artwork in copper and silver like making idols, designing the walls and the roofs.
- The prosperous community of weavers also made donations to temples.
Question: Why do you think towns grew around temples?
Answer: Towns grew around temples because:
- They were administrative centres.
- They were also centres of commercial activities and craft production.
- Temples wealth were used to finance banking and trades by the temple authorities.
- In order to cater the needs of pilgrims, a large number of priests, artisans, workers and traders settled near the temple and slowly pilgrimage centers developed into townships.