Question: What were the some of the major religious developments during this period?
Answer: In the thousand years history, it witnessed major developments in religious traditions.
- The religious belief in supernatural agency was collective among people and it was often connected with the social and economic organization of local communities.
- In Hinduism, it lead to worshiping new deities, construction of new temples by the kings.
- Brahmins gained importance and became dominant group in the society because of their knowledge of Sanskrit language and role playing as priests in religious activities.
- Later one of the major development was the emergence of the idea of Bhakti or Sufism, i.e. devotees can pray their personal deities by sermons without the aid of priests or elaborate rituals.
- In this period, new religions also appeared in the subcontinent. E.g. during seventh century merchants and migrants brought the teachings of Islam. Later many rulers (Sultanate of Delhi and Mughals) became patrons of Islam. Like Hinduism, Islam was interpreted by in variety of ways by its followers.
Question: How were the affairs of jatis regulated?
Answer: Jatis framed their own rules and regulations to manage the conduct of their members. These regulations were enforced by an assembly of elders (called jati panchayat in some areas). Several villages were governed by a chieftain. Together they were only one small unit of a state.
Question: What does the term pan-regional empire mean?
Answer: The empire which spreads across many regions of diverse culture, religion and geography is called pan-regional empire. Cholas, Khaljis, Tughluqs and Mughals were pan-regional empires.
Question: What are the difficulties historians face in using manuscripts?
Answer: Following difficulties generally historians face while using manuscripts:
- Poor Handwriting: Manuscripts were mostly hand written. Illegible handwriting introduce errors while copying these scripts.
- Different Interpretations: illegible writings force historians to take guess which may not be accurate.
- Copying Errors: Scribes while copying introduce small errors which grew over the centuries.
- Different versions of Manuscripts may lead to confusion. It becomes a challenge to decide the chronological order of their releases.
Question: Give examples of forts built during Medieval period.
Answer: Forts built during Medieval period are:
- Lal Quila (Red Fort at Delhi)
- Red Fort at Agra
- Gwaliar Fort
- Amer Fort (Jaipur)
Question: Name any two mosques built during Medieval period.
Answer: Two mosques built during Medieval period are:
- Jama Masjid (Delhi)
- Moti Masjid (Agra)
Question: List the name of temples built during Medieval period.
Answer: Temples built during Medieval period:
- Meenakshi Temple (Madurai)
- Khujrao Temples
- Dilwara Temples (Mt. Abu)
Question: List any two pillars built during Medieval period.
Answer: Pillars built during Medieval period:
- Qutub Minar (Delhi)
- Charminar (Hyderabad)
- Vijay Pillar (Chittorgarh)
Question: List names of tombs built during Medieval period.
Answer: Tombs built during Medieval period
- Taj Mahal (Agra)
- Humanyun Tomb (Delhi)