Question: Define a fibre. What are the different. Kinds of natural fibre used to make clothes.
Answer: Fibre are thin stands of threads that are woven to make Fabric. Different kinds of natural fibres are:
- Animal Fibres = Eg- Wool
- Plant Fibres = Eg- Cotton
- Insect fibre = Eg- Silk
Question: What are synthetic fibre? Give two examples.
Answer: Synthetic fibre are man-made fibres made from plastic and petroleum products. For example: Nylone, Rayon etc. They are also made from chemicals.
Question: Describe the different ways of making fabric from fibre.
Answer: The different ways are:
- Weaving: Weaving involves making fabric by arranging two sets of yarn. It is done using a machine called loom, which can be hand operated or power operated.
- Knitting: Knitting involves making fabric by forming a series of connected loops of yarn by using Knitting needles or machines. Sweaters are made from wool strands by knitting.
Question: Differentiate between hemp and flax.
- Hemp fibre are obtained from the stem of the hemp plant.
- It is very rough.
- It has a woody stem, it is long and sough.
- Eg- ropes, carpets, nets etc.
- Fibres obtained from the stem of the flax plant are woven to make a fibric called line.
- It is very soft.
- Its stem is short and soft.
- It is used in the production of ropes and high quality paper.
Question: What is Ginning?
Answer: The process o separating the the cotton fibres from its seeds is called ginning.
Question: What is Retting?
Answer: The process of rotting the stems of the plants in water to remove the sticky substance and separate fibres is called retting.