Changing Trends & Career in Physical Education: 11th Class – Chapter 1
- It is the education of the body through the body and it develops motor skills, emotional intelligence, knowledge and behavior for active living.
- Physical education not only helps in physical development but it also develops emotional, social & mental development.
According to J.F William: “Physical education is the sum of man’s physical activities selected as to kind and conducted as to outcomes”.
Aim & Objectives of Physical Education
The Single aim of physical education is to achieve a comprehensive & overall development of an individual but its objectives are many.
- Organic Fitness Development: This objective is to develop a good physique through the efficiency of organic systems like Respiratory, Circulatory, Digestive, Muscular and Neuro-muscular improve.
- Neuro-Muscular Coordination Development: Brain and body are two things but they are interdependent, the development of neuro-muscular skills develop the ability of various activities like jumping, running, throwing etc. and it develops smooth functioning of body.
- Social Development: Through the participation in various physical activities many qualities like confidence, obedience, temperament, sincerity, sacrifices, sportsmanship and self control etc. This development promotes the sociability & forms a healthy society.
- Emotional Development: Physical education makes a person emotionally like through the participation in physical activities and learns about emotional behavior & he / she knows how to react in different kinds of situation.
Various Courses In Physical Education
The physical education has four levels of study after 12th class.
Certificate Courses: It is taken the education of six months to one year and the list of courses:
- Yoga and Yoga science
1. Diploma Courses: It is taken the duration of two years and the list of courses:
- Diploma in Aerobics
- Diploma in Yoga and Physical educations
- (B.P.Ed) Diploma in Physical Education
2. Degree Courses: It is taken the education of three years and the list of courses:
- B.A (Yoga)
- B.P.E (Bachelor of Physical Education)
- B.SC in Physical Education and Sports
3. Master’s Degree Courses: It is also taken the education two years but students must have complete their graduation in Physical Education. The list of Master’s Degree courses:
- M.P.Ed (Master of Physical Education)
- M.Phil (Master of Philosophy in Physical Education)
- Ph.D (Doctor of Philosophy in Physical Education)
Career Options In Physical Education
- Teaching Career: Physical Education is a compulsory subject as it is taught at many levels in India and accordingly teachers are appointed like:
(a) Trained Graduate Teacher: They are appointed as TGT to teach games & sports for class 1st to 10th.
(b) Post Graduate Teacher: They are appointed as PGT to teach the theory / syllabus of physical education of class 11th & 12th in schools.
(c) Lecturers at collage level: They are appointed as Lecturers to teach advanced physical education for college students.
- Coaching Career: There are several games played in the world and every game requires specialized coaching. After doing diploma of coaching in a particular game from NSNIS, Patiala then a person is eligible to get a job as a coach of that game.
- Fitness related Career: Fitness experts have specialization in many fields:
(i) Aerobics Trainer
(ii) Calisthenics Expert
(iii) Rhythmic Expert
(iv) Yoga Instructor
(v) Weight Training Expert
- Sports Media: To learn about the process of communication within the sporting world through different branches:
(i) Sports journalist
(ii) Sports Photographer
(iv) Sports magazine writers
- Sports Administration: They are responsible for organizing & scheduling a wide range of competitions, sporting events, managing budgets or overseeing the recruitment and training the staff. Different opportunities to opt as career –
(i) Manager for competitions, Sports clubs, Swimming pools etc.
(ii) Director of Intra & Extra murals.
- Health & Therapy: Health related instructors can help us to maintain body weight and protect the body from different health hazards.
Therapists are also in great demand who works to regain the former fitness and protect the sports person from various injuries.
- Sports Marketing: They are professionals to deal in this field which refers to promoting goods and services through the use of sporting events and the endorsement of athletes and sports teams.
Competitions At Different Levels
National Level Competitions
(i) Individual Competitions:
All State Sport Federation conduct the various National for Junior, Youth and Senior National Championships annually under the aegis of National Sports Federations.
Few sports have started their league tournaments where professional players play the competitions. Pro Kabaddi, Hockey India League, National Football League etc.
(ii) Multi Discipline Competitions:
(a) Khelo India Games:
- The first edition of Khelo India Games are organized in collaboration with the School Games Federation of India (SGFI) & the National Sports Federations (NSFs).
- The second edition of Khelo India was renamed as Khelo India Youth Games. It was organized in the age category of under 17 & 21 years.
- It is not restricted to school only and now College and University students can also participate in this competition.
(b) School National Games:
- It has a vision to provide a robust, vibrant and holistic physical education and school sports activity that will engender excellence in school sports sector in India.
- The SGFI competition is held annually.
(c) National Games:
- The national games were earlier known as Indian Olympic Games.
- These were organised by any state under the aegis of Indian Olympic Associations.
- First Indian Olympic Games were held in Lahore in 1924.
- After 1938 they were renamed as National Games.
International Level Competitions
(i) Individual Competitions:
All National Sports Federations conduct the various International Competitions Junior, Youth and Senior Championships Under the aegis of World Body.
(ii) Multi Discipline Competitions:
(a) Asian Games
- The Asian Games is a multi disciplinary sports event held once in every 4 years.
- Athletes from all Asian Countries Participate in this event.
- It is recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
(b) Commonwealth Games
- They are an International multi – sport event involving athletes from the commonwealth of nations.
- It is held in after every 4 years.
- The event was first held in 1930 and the last edition of Commonwealth Games was held in Gold Coast, Australia.
- Olympic Games involves summer and winter sports competitions in which thousands of athletes from around the world participate.
- It is considered the world’s foremost sports competition with more than 200 nations participating.
- It is held in every 4 years.
- First Modern Olympic Games were held in 1896 at Athens.
Khelo India Program
- The Khelo India Games were introduced to develop the sports culture in India at the grassroot level.
- The clearly states to establish India as a great sporting nation.
- Playing sports inculcates team spirit, develops strategic and analytical thinking, leadership skills, goal setting and risk taking.
- It’s time we inspire young talent, give them top notch infrastructure and training of the highest level. We need to inculcate a strong spirit of participation in sports that enables players to demonstrate their true potential.
- The inaugural Khelo India Games were named as the Khelo India School Games.
- These games were held from 31st January to 8th February 2018 in New Delhi.
- In the age category of under 17 years, 16 disciplines were contested in the competition.
- They included Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Kho Kho, Kabaddi, Judo, Football, Gymnastics, Boxing, Shooting, Volleyball, Swimming, Wrestling, Hockey and Weightlifting.
- The even got much popularity as 5000 students from 29 states and 7 Union Territories participated.
- The second edition of Khelo India School Games was held as Khelo India Youth Games.
- These games were held January 9 to January 20, 2019 in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Development of sports culture to achieve sporting excellence in the country.
- Many holistic development of children and youth community is the major concern of Khelo India Scheme.
- To create inspirational value amongst budding players in the country. There is no dearth of sporting talent in our nation. The budding athletes need encouragement to excel in the field of sports.
- To create platform for talent identification. The main objective of Khelo India is to identify the talent of all levels. Once the talent is found, training can be given to excel in field of sports.
- To benchmark technical conduct of the game with international standards. Special emphasis will be given to improve the technical conduct.
Components Of Khelo India
- Development of Play field: This component includes preparation of a national inventory of playfield and sports infrastructure by Govt. of India and development of play fields at various state and district levels.
- Community Coaching Development: The significance is given for skill developments and certification system for sports coaching. At the grass-root level the Physical Education teachers must be educated and trained for coaching.
- State Level Khelo India Centers: This involves supporting better utilization of sports infrastructure in relation to the States / Union Territories.
- Annual Sports Competitions: It must be organized to provide platform for children to exhibit their talent of sports.
- Talent Search and Development: For the selection of the prize winners for the scheme, a talent identification committee is instituted to spot and identify talent with the help of globally accepted scientific methods.
- Utilization and Creation of Sports infrastructure: The aim is to provide sports infrastructure and its utilization across the nation.
- Physical Fitness of School going children: This aims to develop physical education curriculum by adding physical activities in the schools. A method will made to measure the physical fitness levels of children.
- Support to regional and national sports academies: This component takes care of providing resources under Public Private Partnership.
- Development of sports for women: More significance will be especially for women participating in sports. The emphasis on sports disciplines where women participation is limited will be encouraged.
- Development of sports for children with special needs: They will be given more opportunities to train and complete in the sports. SAI will be creating sports infrastructure for persons with disabilities.
- Sports for peace and development: Under the special package for J&K, the Govt. of the India is providing funds of up to Rs. 200 crores for enhancement of sports facilities in the state.
- Promotion of rural/indigenous sports in the country: To spread sporting culture in the country significance will be given to rural games.
Important Questions On Changing Trends & Career in Physical Education:
Questions Carrying 3 marks:
- What do you mean by Physical Education? Explain with the help of two quotations.
- Write any three objectives of Physical Education.
- Explain any three career options in Physical Education.
- Write about individual competitions at national level.
- Elaborate about multi-discipline competitions at national level.
- Describe about individual competition at international level.
- Write about multi-discipline competitions at international level.
- Write about National Games.
Questions Carrying 05 marks:
- Define Physical Education and explain its aim and objectives.
- Explain the career options in the field of Physical Education.
- Elaborate various competitions organised at International level.
- Write about various competitions organised at National level.
- Explain Khelo-India Program.