Foundation of Information Technology
(Code No. 165)
1. To familiarize with basics of information technology
2. To develop basic skills of using tools for information representation and processing.
3. To use Information Processing tools for enhancing productivity and quality.
1. Cognitive domain : Knowledge and understanding
To develop basic understanding of IT tools.
2. Psychomotor domain : Skills
To develop skills in using Information Processing tools.
3. Affective domain : Personality traits
To develop habit of teamwork, structure presentation and abide by ethical principles of computing
|Unit ||Description ||Periods ||Marks |
| || ||Theory ||Practical ||Theory ||Practical |
|1 ||Basics of Information Technology ||10 ||00 ||10 ||00 |
|2 ||Information Processing Tools ||35 ||20 ||30 ||10 |
|3 ||IT Applications ||30 ||20 ||30 ||10 |
|4 ||Societal impacts of IT ||05 ||00 ||10 ||00 |
| || |
|80 ||40 ||80 |
Unit 1 : Basics of Information Technology
Convergence of Technologies - Computer, Communication and Content technologies.
Computing Technology :
• Computer System : Characteristics of a computer, Components of a computer system - CPU, Memory, Storage Devices and I/O Devices
• Memory : Primary (RAM & ROM) and Secondary Memory;
• Units of Memory : Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terabyte
• I/O Devices : Keyboard, Mouse, Printer, Joystick, Scanner, Microphone, OCR, MICR, Light Pen, Barcode Reader, Digital Camera, Speaker, Plotter;
• Storage Device : Hard Disk, CD ROM, DVD, Blu Ray, Pen/Flash Drive, Memory Stick;
• Type of Software : System Software (Operating System), Application Software (General purpose application software - Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Database Management; Specific purpose application software - Accounting Management, Reservation System, HR Management, Attendance System, Payroll System, School Inventory Control System, Billing System) and Utility Software (Disk/Folder/Files Management, Virus Scanner/Cleaner, Encryption/Decryption Tools.)
Communication Technology :
• Computer Networking - LAN, MAN, WAN, Internet, Interspace
• Wired Networking Technology examples Co-axial Cable, Ethernet Cable, Optical fibre
• Wired Networking Technology examples Bluetooth, Infrared and WiFi
Content Technology :
• Data, Information and Multimedia (Picture/Image, Audio, Video, Animation)
UNIT II : INFORMATION PROCESSING TOOLS
Operating System - Basic concepts of Operating System and its functions (GNU Linux)
• Introduction to windows : Using Mouse and moving icons on the screen, My Computer, Recycle Bin, Task Bar, Start-menu and menu selection, running an application, Setting system date and time; Windows Explorer to view files, folders and directories, creating and renaming of files and folders, Opening and closing of windows, Minimise, Restore and Maximise forms of windows, Basic components of a window : Desktop, Frame, Title Bar, Menu Bar, Status Bar, Scroll Bars (Horizontal & Vertical), Using right button of the Mouse, Creating Shortcut, Basic windows Accesories : Notepad, Paint, Calculator, Wordpad, using Clipboard ;
Word Processing Tool :
• Introduction to a Word Processor, Creating and Saving a document, Editing and Formating a Document; Text Style (B, I.U.), Font Type Size, changing color, alignment of text; Formating paragraphs with line or paragraph spacing; adding headers and footers, numbering pages, using grammar and spell check utilities, using subscript and superscript, Print Preview, printing a document. Inserting Symbol, Clipart and Pictures, Page Setting, Bullets and Numbering, Borders and Shading, Format Painter, Find and Replace, Inserting Tables: Inserting, deleting-rows and columns, merging cells, splitting cells, using autoformat: Mail Merge, Using simple mathematical expressions, track changes.
Presentation Tools :
• Introduction to Presentation Graphics, Understanding the concept of Slide Shows, Basic elements of a slide, Different types of Slide Layouts, Creating and saving a Presentation, Different views of a slide: Normal view, Slide Sorter view and Slide Show, Editing and Formating a slide: Adding Titles, Subtitles, Text, Background, Watermark ; Headers and Footers, Numbering Slides; Inserting pictures from files, Animating pictures and Text with Sound Effects, Timing Text box, Pictures and Slides, Rehearse Timings, ungrouping and Grouping pictures from Clipart.
Spreadsheed Tool :
• Introudction to Spreadsheets, Concept of Worksheets and workbooks, Creating and Saving a worksheet, Working with a spreadsheet: entering numbers, text, date/time, series using Auto Fill, Editing and formating a worksheet including changing colour, size, font, alignment of text, Inserting or Deleting cells, rows and columns, Formulae- ntering a formula in a cell, using operators (+, -, x, /) in formulae, Relative referencing, Absolute referencing and mixed referencing, Printing a worksheet. Use Simple Statistical functions: SUM(), AVERAGE(), MAX(), MIN(), IF(), (without compound statements); inserting tables in worksheet, Embedding Charts of various types: Line, Pie, Scatter, Bar and Area in a worksheet.
UNIT III : IT APPLICATIONS
Students are suggested to work on the following areas using Word Processing, Presentation and Spreadsheet Tools.
• Mail-Merge Formal/Informal letter
• Report Writing
• Multi-Lingual Greeting card
• Poster making
• School Magazine
• Environment (Save Energy) and Pollution (Global Warming)
• Product Advertisement
• Science & Social Science topics from the course
• Trends in Wireless Computing
Analysis Reporting :
• School/Class Result with student-wise and subject-wise marks
• Cricket Score Record
• Weather Forecasting Report
NOTE: Sample documents/ presentations/spreadsheets on the above topics are made available on CBSE CD-ROM
Teachers are requested to demonstrate some other popular software for word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet, which support Hindi and/or some other Indian language(s).
UNIT IV : SOCIETAL IMPACTS OF IT
Plagiarism, Privacy, Security and Integrity of Information; Intellectual Property Rights; Careers in IT.
|One Practical Paper ||Time: 2 Hours ||20 Marks || |
|(A) HANDS ON EXPERIENCE || |
Design of a Practical Question Paper
There is no pre-set question paper provided by CBSE for conducting practical examination. This flexibility has been provided to give more freedom to the examiners for the improvement of practical examination, keeping in view the resources and other facilities available in the laboratory of the School. However, detailed instructions on the basic of syllabus, distribution of marks and conduction of practical examination have been provided. The examiner is advised to set the question paper according to the prescribed curriculum and distribution of marks.
|Sl. No. || Skill || |
|I ||Working on Operating System || |
|II ||Word Processing || |
|III ||Presentation || |
|IV ||Spread Sheet || |
I. Working on Operating System:*
To test some of the following basic system operations on file/folder(s):
• Commands related to Notepad/Text Editor/Wordpad/Paint
• Using Clipboard
II. Word Processing:*
A document is required to be created for testing the following areas :
• Editing and Formatting text and paragraph.
• Page and Paragraph Setup
• Inserting pictures and WordArt
A presentation is required to be created for testing the following areas :
• Editing and formatting slides
• Inserting pictures and sounds
• Animating pictures and text with sound effects
A spreadsheet is required to be created for testing the following areas :
• Formatting cells and data
• Functions & Formulae (Relative, absolute and Mixed reference)
* Printouts of the documents(s) Spreadsheet(s) should be attached with the answer sheet
|(B) IT Application Report File || |
Students are supposed to make a IT Application Report File Containing Real life assignments/ presentations using Word Processing Tools, Presentation Tools and Spreadsheet Tools on 12 topics :
• 4 word processing documents
• 4 presentations
• 4 spreadsheets with graphs/charts
|(C) VIVA VOCE 4 Marks || |
The questions can be asked from any portion of the syllabus covered during Class IX.