Question: Why is Australia referred to as ‘Down Under’?
Answer: Australia being situated entirely in the Southern Hemisphere, is sometimes known as Down Under.
Question: Which chain of mountains is the longest in the world?
Answer: The Andes is the world’s longest mountain chain.
Question: Which ocean lies between four major continents?
Answer: Atlantic Ocean lies between the four major continents – Africa, Europe, South America and North America.
Question: What is the world’s biggest desert called?
Answer: The world’s biggest desert is known as the Sahara Desert.
Question: What is the Great Barrier Reef?
Answer: The world’s largest coral reef is called Great Barrier Reef. It is located along the north-eastern coast of Australia.
Question: Name the continents in increasing order of its size.
Answer: Continents from the largest in size to smallest are – Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.
Question: Name the oceans in increasing order of their size.
Answer: In decreasing order by size – the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Southern (Antarctic), and Arctic Oceans.
Question: Describe the main features of Asia.
Answer: The main features of Asia are –
- It is the largest continent by size. It occupies approximately one-third of the land area of our planet.
- More than 90% of this continent lies in the northern hemisphere.
- The highest point in Asia is Mt. Everest (8,850 m) in the Himalayas.
- Asia is bordered by the Pacific Ocean in the east, The Arctic Ocean in the north and India Ocean in the south.
- Longest river is known as Yangtze Kiang, which flows in China (6300 km).
- A large part of Russia the world’s biggest country by size lies in Asia.
Question: Give an account of the deserts found in Africa.
Answer: The Sahara, the world’s largest desert is located in the North Africa. It stretches from Atlantic Ocean in the west to the Red Sea in the east. The Kalahari is another large desert located in the southern part of this continent.