Antithesis Examples In Poetry and Quotes
- Unlike short-sighted, egocentric humans, God “sees with equal eye” the fall of a hero and a sparrow, the destruction of an atom or a solar system – Alexander Pope.
- Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice.
- Many are called, but few are chosen.
- Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. – Samuel Johnson
- Hee for God only, shee for God in him. – by John Milton.
- Man proposes, God disposes.
- Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing. – Goethe
- We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools. – MartinLuther King, Jr.
- Money is the root of all evils: poverty is the fruit of all goodness.
- The strong master gives his judgment and goes home; the weak servant collects his key and goes to jail.
- Too black for heaven, and yet too white for hell. – by John Dryden
- To err is human, to forgive, divine.” by Alexander Pope
- Many are called, but few are chosen.
- One small step for a man, one giant leap for all mankind.
- Speech is silver, but Silence is Gold.
- You’re easy on the eyes, Hard on the heart.
- Brutus: Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more. – Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare.
- Patience is bitter, but it has a sweet fruit.
- folks who have no vices have very few virtues. – Abraham Lincoln
- So, justice is far from us
and righteousness does not reach us
We look for light, but all is darkness
for brightness, but we walk in deep shadows. – New testament in Romans (5:12)
Antithesis Examples In Literature
- The character of Snow White and the White witch from the novel ‘The Snow White’ shows the opposite traits of them. Snow White – good, honest, innocent, kind, felicitous and selfless. TheWicked Witch – Evil, jealous, bad, mean, cruel, miserable.
- The characters of Dumbledore and Voldemort in Harry Potter. Here Dumbledore is described – good, humble, calm, wise, protector and friendly whereas Voldemort – evil wizard, destructive and savage.
- It was the best of times, it was the worst of times; It was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness. – Charles Dickens’s “A Tale of Two Cities”
- Aslan and White witch in ‘The Chronicles Of Narnia’. Similar to the other characters here Aslan is the good and as the name suggests White Witch to be wicked.
- Julius Caesar – Marcus Brutus and Mark Antony. Brutus is portrayed as a person who was close to Caesar and had love for Rome and Caesar. Antony is brought in as the evil one here who had minds only to harm Caesar and take the citizens in his control.
Antithesis Examples as Noun
- Her behavior was the very antithesis of gentle.
- This is not famous, It is the antithesis of being famous.
- The use of violence in the name of religion, to establish the supremacy of one’s religion, is the antithesis of religion, because no religion preaches violence.
- Bentham proved to be the antithesis of his father.
- Thanks to the collapse of communism the political antithesis between Left and Right is less important.
- Tom is bold and handsome the very antithesis of his brother.
- Advertising and marketing are sometimes said to be the antithesis of each other which in some way can be true.
- Teacher’s theory is the antithesis of mine.
- His work is seen to represent the antithesis of any progressive political engagement.
Antithesis Examples In Songs And Films
- I close my eyes so I can see…I burn a fire to stay cool…Shut the door so I can leave – Shut the door
- It rained all night the day I left, the weather it was dry, The sun so hot, I froze to death – Oh Susanna!
- Even though the sun is shining, I can feel the rain.. – Evenin the Quietest Moments
- “It’s never too soon, It’s never too late” – Quicksand
- ‘Give me some sunshine, Give me some rain, Give me another chance I wanna grow up once again’ – Three idiots
The word antithesis is derived from the Greek word ‘antitithenai’, which means to oppose. It is a figure of speech used for contradicting the meaning of the terms. As given above, antithesis, apart from being a poetic device, is also used in statements as a noun.