Question: Write some safety tips during lightning.
Answer: Safety during lightning:
- No open place is safe during lightning and hence a home or any other building is the safest place during lightning.
- The first sound of thunder is like a warning call for lightning. Hence, one should rush to a building soon after hearing a sound of thunder. One should come out of home only a few minutes after the last sound of thunder.
- You should not carry an umbrella (with a metallic handle) during thunderstorm. Metallic handle can be a potential target for lightning.
- Tall trees and other tall structures are more prone to be hit by lightning. If you are caught in the open, try to hide under a short tree.
- If you are in open and have no place to hide, then crouch on the ground and keep your head between your knees and hands.
- Don’t take shower during lightning.
- Use of phone should be avoided during lightning.
- Television should be disconnected from the antenna.
- Avoid operating the electric switches during lightning.
Question: Suggest some tips for a earthquake safe building.
Answer: Following provisions make a earthquake safe building:
- Buildings should be made quake proof. Engineers and architects are the experts who can give suitable advice in this regard.
- Light-weight materials should be used for making the buildings in earthquake prone areas.
- Cupboards should be fixed to the walls so that they do not fall on someone during an earthquake.
- People should be made to practice drills for earthquake. Such drills should be frequently organized in schools and at public places.
- In case of an earthquake, you should hide under a table or any other similar structure. If you are in bed, then keep a pillow over your head and do not move out of the bed. If you are in an open area, try to move away from buildings and other structures.
- Proper installation of fire-fighting equipment should be ensured in buildings. Fire due to short circuit and gas leakage is quite common during an earthquake.