Question: Distinguish between the following:
Answer: 1. Metallic and non-metallic minerals:
- Metallic minerals are metals such as iron, gold and copper.
- They are pound in igneous and metamorphic rocks.
- Non-metallic minerals don not have metals such as Nitrate, Sulfur, Potash, Salt and coal.
- They are found in sedimentary rocks.
- They are dull and soft.
2. Conventional and Non-Conventional power resources:
- The resources of energy which have been in use for a long time. Eg: Coal, Petroleum, natural gas, water power.
- They have limited reserves and are exhaust-able except water.
- They cause pollution when used as they emit smoke and ash.
- They are very expensive to be maintained, stored and transmitted as they are carried over long distance through transmitted grid and lines.
- The resources which are yet in the pro-cell of development over the past few years are recenter developed it includes solar, wind, tidal, bio-gas and bio-mass, geothermal.
- They have unlimited reserve. They are inexhaustible.
- They are generally pollution free.
- They are less expensive due to local use and easy to maintain.
Question: What are the main characteristics of mineral?
Answer: Following are the main characteristics of minerals:
- They are unevenly distributed over the earth’s surface.
- They are mixed up with large variety of impurities.
- The mineral resources are exhaust.