Life in the Deserts [Page 3]: 7th Class Geography Chapter 10
Question: Tick the correct answer:
- Sahara is located in which part of Africa?
(a) eastern (b) northern (c) western
- Sahara is what type of desert?
(a) cold (b) hot (c) mild
- The Ladakh desert is mainly inhabited by ………..
(a) Christians and Muslims
(b) Buddhists and Muslims
(c) Christians and Buddhists
- Deserts are characterized by ……………..
(a) Scanty vegetation (b)heavy precipitation (iii) low evaporation
- Hemis is Ladakh is a famous ………………
(a) temple (b) church (c) monastery
- Egypt is famous for growing
(a) wheat (b) maize (c) cotton.
Answer: (i)-(b), (ii)-(b), (iii)-(b), (iv)-(a), (v)-(c), (vi)-(c)
Question: Give reasons:
- There is scanty vegetation in the deserts.
- People of the Sahara desert wear heavy robes.
- The climate of the deserts is either very hot and dry or very cold and dry. Both the conditions are not favorable for the growth of vegetation. Besides this, there is poor rainfall in the deserts. Due to lack of sufficient water, deserts usually have scanty vegetation.
- People of the Sahara deserts wear heavy robes in order to protect themselves from the dust storms and hot winds.
Question: Map skills:
- On the outline map of Africa, mark the Sahara desert and any four countries around it.
- On the outline map of India, mark the Karakoram Range, Zanskar Range, Ladakh and Zojila pass.
Question: How many countries are touched by the Sahara desert? Name them.
Answer: The Sahara desert touches eleven countries – Algeria, Chad, Egypt, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Sudan, Tunisia and Western Sahara.
Life in the Deserts [Chapter 10]
Question: What are the two characteristic features of a desert?
Answer: The climate of a desert is either very hot and dry or very cold and dry. The vegetation is sparse.
Question: Mention the day and night temperatures of the Sahara desert.
Answer: The day temperature – It may soar as high as 50°C. The night temperature – Nearing zero degrees
Question: What vegetation is found in the Sahara desert?
Answer: Vegetation in the Sahara desert is comprised of cactus, date, palms and acacia. Green islands with date palms can be seen near the oases.
Question: Name the two nomadic tribes living in the Sahara desert.
Answer: The Bedouins and Tuaregs.
Question: Name the animals reared by the Bedouins and Tuaregs.
Answer: Goats, sheep, camels and horses.
Question: What do these animals provide them?
Answer: These animals provide them with milk and hides.
Question: Name the countries associated with the discovery of oil
Answer: Algeria, Libya and Egypt.
Question: Ladakh is made up of two words. Mention these words with their meaning.
Answer: The two words with which Ladakh is made up of are La meaning mountain pass and Dak meaning country.
Question: Where is Ladakh located?
Answer: Ladakh is located in the Great Himalayas, on the eastern side of Jammu and Kashmir.
Question: Name an important river that flows through Ladakh.
Question: Why is there little rainfall in the Ladakh desert?
Answer: It is because the Ladakh desert lies in the rain shadow of the Himalayas.