[Page 2]: 7th Class Geography Chapter 10
Question: Name the 4 passes which the Manali-Leh highway crosses.
- Manali-Leh Highway crosses four passes:
- Rohtang la, Baralacha la, Lungalacha la and Tanglang la.
- The highway opens only between July and September when snow is cleared
from the road.
Life in the Deserts [Chapter 10] Question: What is major activity in Ladakh?
- Tourism is a major activity.
- Several tourists stream in here from within India and abroad.
- Visits to the gompas, treks to see the meadows and glaciers, witnessing ceremonies and festivities are important activities of the Ladakh people.
- Life of people has now undergone a change due to modernization.
- The people of Ladakh have over the centuries learnt to live in balance and harmony with nature.
- Due to scarcity of resources like water and fuel, they are used with reverence and care.
- Nothing is discarded or wasted.
Question: Fill in the blanks with appropriate words:
- Sahara desert touches the boundaries of ……………….. countries.
- The People of Sahara wear heavy robes as a protection against ………………. and ……………..
- …………………….. is enclosed by the Karakoram range in the north.
- Yak’s milk is used to make ……………… and …………………..
- Leh is connected to Kashmir through ……………………… Pass.
- …………………….. is the most important river of Ladakh.
2. dust storms, hot winds
4. butter, cheese
5. Zoji la
Question: State whether the given statements are true or false:
- Vegetation of Sahara includes cactus, date palms.
- Area around oasis is infertile.
- Hair of sheep and goats are used to make woolens.
- Baralacha La is the name of pass between Manali and Leh.
- Skeletons of fish have been found in Sahara desert.
- Desert is a wet region with extreme high or low temperatures.
Question: Answer the following questions briefly:
- What are the two types of deserts found in the world?
- In which continent is the Sahara desert located?
- What are the climatic conditions of the Ladakh desert?
- What mainly attracts tourists to Ladakh?
- What type of clothes the people of the Sahara desert wear?
- Name the trees that grow in Ladakh
- The two types of deserts found in the world are hot deserts and cold deserts.
- The Sahara desert is located in Africa.
- The climate of the Ladakh desert is extremely cold and dry due to its high attitude which varies from about 3,000 m in Kargil to more than 8,000 m in the Karakoram. The air at this attitude is so then that the heat of the sun can be felt intensely. The day temperatures in summer are just above zero degree and the night temperatures are below -30°C. Winters are extremely cold with temperatures below -40°C for most of the time. There is very little rainfall in this region. It is as low as 10 cm every year. The area experiences freezing winds and burning hot sunlight. There is always a chance of sunstroke and frost bite at the same time.
- Ladakh is a famous tourist place. The tourists from within the country and abroad enjoy visiting Buddhist monasteries that dot the Ladakhi landscape with their traditional gompas.
The meadows and glaciers in Ladakh also attract these tourists. The ceremonies and festivities in which the local people keep themselves engaged during winter months are great attractions to the tourists.
- The people of the Sahara desert wear heavy clothes.
- Scanty patches of grasses and shrubs, groves of willows and poplars, fruit trees such as apples, apricots and walnuts.