Question: What is meant by advertising?
Answer: Advertising is the process of publicising a product or service by drawing people’s attention to the product. Advertisements focus on all the good points of the product to make it appear as attractive as possible so that people are tempted to buy it.
Question: Name some means of advertising.
Answer: Massive billboards, backs of trucks and buses, radios, television sets, magazines and newspapers are some means of advertising.
Question: What is a brand? Name any two popular brands you know.
Answer: A brand is a name given to a product or service. For example, Raymond and Titan are two popular brands.
Question: List the different types of Advertising.
Answer: Advertising can be of different types such as, commercial advertising, social advertising and political advertising. The type of advertising chosen depends on the kind of product being advertised:
- Commercial advertising
- Social advertising
- Political advertising
Question: What is meant by commercial advertising?
Answer: Commercial advertising (or commercials) seeks to sell a product or service. For this purpose, a variety of techniques are used.
- Some advertisers try to fix their product in the minds of the people through constant repetition.
- Some advertisers of the product like toothpastes and cooking oil play the health card- citing references of doctors and dentists.
- Some advertisers use celebrities to endorse (recommend) their products, and some use catchy slogans or jingles to attract customers.
- Some attract consumers by offering discounts on price or by announcing a sale.
- Some advertisements target particular sections of the society like some target women, and some target children.