Question: Write short note on Great Indian Desert & Central highlands.
- Great Indian Desert: The Rajasthan plain or the great Indian Desert covers the western part of Rajasthan. The area has a number of short seasonal streams which are no able to reach the sea. therefore, this is an area of inland drainage. The land is generally rocky and sandy.
- Central highlands: The central highlands form the northern part. They have a series of plateaus, such as Malwa, Bundelkhand, Baghelkhand and Chotanagpur. These plateaus are made up had igneous rock. All the rivers from the central highlands join the Yamuna and the Ganga from the south.
Question: Name the physical divisions of India.
Answer: India is broadly divided into 4 physical divisions:
- The northern mountains
- The northern plains
- The peninsular plateaus
- The coastal plains and the island.
Question: What is the importance of the northern plains of India?
Answer: The northern plains:
- A flat surface for building roads and railways.
- New deposits of alluvium every year.
- Rivers provide water for irrigation.
- A favorable climate for round the year forming.
Question: Describe the location of hill ranges in the peninsular plateaus.
Answer: The plateaus are surrounded by hill ranges on all the three sides. To the north are the Aravallis, the Vindhyas, the Satputras and the Rajmahal hills. The western and eastern ghats from its western and eastern boundaries respectively.
Question: Write about the island of India.
Answer: Lakshadweep island in the Arabian sea and the Andaman Nicobar islands in the Bay of Bengal are the two main island groups of India. Minicoy with an area of about 5 sq km is the largest island in the Lakshadweep group. The Andaman and Nicobar group stretches for a distance of about 600 km. Most o these island are mountainous and are covered with thick forests.