Question: Distinguish between bio-degradable and non bio-degradable.
Answer: Biodegradable waste:
- Waste that will decay and mix with soil.
- Microorganisms can convert this waste into simpler from.
- Peels, meat, leaves are the example.
Non biodegradable wast:
- Waste that will not decay and mix soil.
- Microorganisms cannot convert this waste into simpler from.
- Plastic, metals, glass are the examples.
Question: Why is there a need to segregate the two types of waste?
Answer: There is a need different methods for disposal. The biodegradable can be composted and turned into manure and the non biodegradable can be recycled. This also prevents toxins to enter the food chain.
Question: Why do we say that composting result in ‘recycling’ of biodegradable waste?
Answer: Composting results in recycling of biodegradable waste because microorganism eat all the organic matter which helps it to convert into simpler from. It then mixes up with the soil and the plant absorbs the same soil.
Question: What is vermicomposting?
Answer: Vermicomposting is a method of composting where compost is made from biodegradable waste with the help of redworms.
Question: What concerns does disposing off garbage raise?
Answer: It concerns a lot of things such as we do a lot of shopping unnecessarily, use non-biodegradable waste for packages very less space for landfills and if we put them in soil then it will cause soil pollution.
Question: Why has recycling of non-biodegradable waste become so essential these days?
- We use lot of non-biodegradable waste especially plastic.
- It mixes with the soil the toxins enter the food chain which we consume.
- If we recycle it saves resources, energy and money.
Question: Why is recycling considered to be an efficient method of disposing biodegradable waste?
Answer: If biodegradable waste is carelessly thrown and left to decay it will become home for flies, cockroaches etc. These organisms can spread diseases but if biodegradable waste is recycled by composting it will get converted into manure. This manure can be used to grow healthy crops.