Question: Circle the correct meaning of the given words. You may need to use the dictionary.
idled away wasted rested admired
constant coffee construct steady
companion dog stranger partner
realise to understand to set free real
descend to not send to be decent to move down
barrel a wooden container a musical instrument a bag
contents to be happy the ingredients the index of a book
Question: Match the words in the box with their meanings. You may take the help of a dictionary.
near the lower part of a mountain __________________
with grey hair __________________
to rub gently __________________
to be very surprised __________________
known to you __________________
with grey hair
to rub gently
to be very surprised
known to you
Question: Say whether the following sentences are True or False.
- Rip was kind to children. ____________
- Rip was a hardworking man. ___________
- The short old man on the mountain was his constant companion. _____________
- Rip helped the old man on the mountains because he wanted to have a drink from the barrel. _____________
- Rip was away for twenty years because he was asleep on the mountains. ____________
- The drink from the barrel made him fall asleep for twenty years. ___________
- Nobody recognized Rip when he came back because he had reached the wrong village. ___________
Question: Complete the following sentences.
- Rip’s village was situated _____________.
- The children of the village loved him because _____________.
- _____________ was his constant companion.
- The villagers stared at him because _____________.
- The old woman who recognized Rip was ____________.
- Rip’s village was situated at the foothills of the Kaatskill.
- The children of the village loved him because he played with them.
- The dog, named wolf was his constant companion.
- The villagers stared at him because no one knew him.
- The old woman who recognized Rip was his old neighbor.
Question: Work in groups of four. What were the strange things about the men on the mountains
- They all were dressed in the same way.
- They had beards of various shapes and colors.
- They were serious even while playing games.
- They were very short-heighted.
Question: What kind of a man was Rip Van Winkle?
- He was a kind neighbor.
(2) He was very lazy.
(3) He liked to play with children.
(4) He was a good-natured fellow.
Question: Pick out the names of the games mentioned in the story.
- flying kites
- shooting marbles
Question: Sometime we join two words to make a describing word. For example, Rip was a good-natured man, everybody liked him. Here are some more describing words. Use them to complete the given paragraph.
open-mouthed sweet-looking odd-looking
Mrs Das has a ______________ job in a clothes shop. Yesterday, an ______________ woman walked into the shop. She was wearing ______________ shoes. A ______________ dog was with her. “I want a ______________ shirt for my dog, please,” she said. “For your dog?” asked Mrs Das, ______________in surprise. “Yes.” replied the woman. “I want him to be ______________ for my next party.”
Answer: Mrs Das has a part-time job in a clothes shop. Yesterday, an old-looking woman walked into the shop. She was wearing high-heeled shoes. A sweet-looking dog was with her. “I want a long-sleeved shirt for my dog, please,” she said. “For your dog?” asked Mrs Das, open-mouthed in surprise. “Yes.” replied the woman. “I want him to be well-dressed for my next party.”
Question: Silent letters What is common in the following groups of words?
- knee, knife, knot, know ________
- neighbour, daughter, fight, straight __________
- honest, honour, hour, heir _________
Try and make more silent letter words.
- gnat: _________, ________
- tongue: ________, ________
- chalk: _________, ________
- whistle: _________, _______
Answer: (i) K (ii) G (iii) H
gnat: sign, foreign tongue: langue, antique chalk: walk, talk whistle: chistle, hustle
Question: Read the two paragraphs given below. My mother is always awake before anyone else in the family. I usually wake up after 6 o’clock. I loll around lazily for a few minutes. Then I get up and get dressed for school.
At bedtime, I read a story book. When I feel tired I lie down and go to sleep very quickly. I fall asleep in no time at all!
(i) Now find the opposites of the following words from the paragraphs and complete the table.
wake up ________________
get up ________________
(ii) Fill in the blanks using the words in the previous questions.
- __________ and ___________ quickly! You will be late for school.
- Shh! The baby is ___________. Don’t make a sound, or she will __________.
- Are you still __________? You should be ___________ now or you will not be able to_________ in the morning for school.
(i) awake asleep
wake up go to sleep
get up lie down
- Wake up and get up quickly! You will be late for school.
- Shh! The baby is asleep. Don’t make a sound, or she will wake up.
- Are you still awake? You should be asleep now or you will not be able to get up in the morning for school.
Question: Write about yourself using the following expressions (do you play in the park, go to bed late, fuss over food, study hard, etc.?)
often sometimes rarely
For example: I always do my work neatly.
Disclaimer: These are sample answers. Students are advised to write the answer based on their own experiences and observations.
- I always go to bed on time.
- I rarely beat anyone.
- I often miss my school bus.
- I frequently call my mother.
- I usually finish my homework on time.
Question: Use the following clues to complete the following exercise.
(i) Write three new things you have done in the last three years.
- I have started ______________________
(ii) Write three things you have not done in the last three years.
- I have not played ____________________
- I have started learning German.
- I have visited Shimla.
- I have started reading books.
- I have not played golf.
- I have not eaten chicken.
- I have not met Sharukh Khan.
Rip Van Winkle: External Resources
Rip Van Winkle – CBSE Class V Lesson Question Answers