Question: Describe the climatic conditions in the desert?
Answer: The climatic conditions in the deserts are as follow:
- It receives scanty rainfall, ie less than 25 cm annum
- During the daytime the temperature is very high and reaches 50°C
- The nights are cooler and the temperature goes down to 10°C
- Those are no clouds and dry winds blow here
Question: Mention the different types of deserts found in the world?
Answer: The three types of deserts are:
- Hot or tropical deserts
- Temperate deserts
- Cold deserts
Question: How have plants adapted themselves to desert life?
Answer: The plants have adapted themselves to desert life as follow:
- Trees and shrubs have long roots that go deep into the soil in search water.
- Most plants do not have leaves and in their place thorns or thick waxy coating to prevent water from evaporating.
- Their leaves are spine – like which protect them from animals.
- The stems are thick and fleshy and store water for plants.
Question: What makes the camel specially adapted to the desert?
Answer: The camel has some special features which are:
- It can store water in the lining of its stomach and thus can survive without water for days.
- The camel can store food in its hump in the form of fat.
- The camel has thick padded feet which help it to walk in the sand.
- It’s eyelids protect its during sandstorm.
- It’s small ears and nostrils prevent sand from entering into them.
- It has tough, strong lips and jaws, which help it to eat thorny lashes and cactus without hurting itself.
Question: What are the main occupations of the people of the desert?
Answer: The main occupations of the people of the desert are:
- Animal rearing