Physical Fitness, Wellness & Lifestyle: 11th Class – Chapter 3
- It is the capacity to do the work without any fatigue and after doing his work he has more power to do some more work.
- It is a combination of qualities that enable a person to perform well in vigorous physical activities.
- Physical fitness is the ability to perform the task effectively & efficiently.
- Being physically fit, a person can enjoy the leisure time, be healthy and emergency situations.
- Wellness is the state of being healthy and free from all the diseases.
- It refers to man’s capacity of spending a good balanced life.
- It means the manner or style in which a person lives.
- It can be healthy or unhealthy based on many factors like food choices, activity level and behavior.
Importance Of Physical Fitness & Wellness
1. Quality Of Life
- Improve the quality of life by regular exercises & fitness.
- A physically fit person can manage the routine work efficiently without getting fatigued.
- Easily tackle any difficult situation on his way.
- It also possesses the qualities like good human relations, maturity & self respect.
2. Prevention From Diseases:
- Regular fitness exercises can prevent many diseases specially related to heart.
- Take personal responsibility for the health by avoiding such health risks like eating junk food, tobacco use and less workouts.
3. Harmonious Growth And Development:
- Regular training can improve the efficiency of various organs which can be beneficial for the sports person.
Importance Of Lifestyle
- Improves physical fitness: Regular exercise is defined as physical activity done for the purpose of getting physically fit.
- Prevention of health problems: A healthy lifestyle keeps us free of diseases like hypertension, diabetes, cardiac problems etc. can be prevented through healthy lifestyle.
- Development of mental health: It affects how think, feel and act and sometimes it determines how handle the stressful situation especially in the field of physical education so it developed only through a healthy lifestyle.
Components of Physical Fitness
- The ability to do things that need a lot of physical or mental effort and it is the amount of force a muscle of muscle group can exert.
- There are two types of strength:
(a) Dynamic Strength
(b) Static strength
- It is the ability to move the body as fast as possible.
- Different sports skills require different fast movements like short distance running, shot-putter body across the throwing circle, running between wicket.
- It is the ability of the body to work for a longer time without getting fatigued or tired and usually measured by the no. of repetitions like no. of sit-ups in 1 min. and no. of curling.
- Two types of endurance:
(a) Short Term Endurance
(b) Long Term Endurance
- It is the range of movements of joints.
- The individual who has proper flexibility, can perform his work very easily.
- Two types of flexibility:
(a) Passive Flexibility
(b) Active Flexibility
5. Coordinative Abilities:
- It manly depends on Central Nervous System.
- It is used in the place of ‘Agility’ which is difficult to explain.
- The neuro-muscular coordination mainly dependent factor for coordinative abilities.
Components Of Wellness
1. Physical Wellness
- It involves the ability to do daily tasks.
- Do vigorous physical activities like swimming, sprint races etc.
- Adopt healthful habits like routine checkups, a balanced diet, exercise etc.
- Avoid destructive habits like consumption of tobacco, drugs, alcohol etc.
2. Social Wellness:
- It creates the ability to interact with people around them that include family and friends.
- Involves the quality of good communication skills, sympathy, cooperation and helpfulness which makes a person well adjustable in the society.
3. Emotional Wellness:
- It is the ability to understand ourselves and cope with challenges of life.
- To control stress, anxiety and to express comfortably.
- Share feelings of anger, fear, sadness, joy, love and happiness to become a well adjustable in family and society.
4. Intellectual Wellness:
- It helps in acting quickly and correctly in any situation of life.
- It is the ability to think critically and make sound decisions.
- For maintaining it we should try to expand our knowledge & improve our skills.
5. Spiritual Wellness:
- It is the ability to establish peace and harmony in our lives.
- Do meditation or perform prayer and always given respect to religion that directs to have positive attitude towards life.
- It makes a person ethically, morally and spiritually sound.
6. Nutritional Wellness:
- Proper nutrition & a balanced diet are vital components for maintaining healthy lifestyle.
- Avoid fried, junk and fast food.
- Adopt fresh fruits, green vegetables, drink plenty of sugar-free liquids.
Preventing Health Threats Through Lifestyle Change
Health threats like cancer, diabetes, hearts related diseases, blood pressure, obesity, depression, and thyroid etc. can be minimized by the following facts:
1. Regular Physical Workout:
- Be in regular exercise for at least 60 min. per day
- It helps to prevent the body from various diseases.
- Do stretching exercises, running, yoga, recreational activities etc.
- Prefer only stairs instead of elevators even walking is best instead of motor bike.
2. Healthy Eating Habits:
- Adopt good eating habits that keep us away from dangerous diseases.
- It promotes Growth & Development in children, maintains body functioning in adults.
- Take healthy diet which includes fresh vegetables, fruits, sprouts and whole grain cereals etc.
3. Control Use Of Electronic Devices:
- Excessive use of these devices can reduce the physical activity and increase the consumption of dangerous food & beverages.
- It also leads to a sedentary lifestyle.
- Devices as TV, mobile and computers use them for at least 2 hrs. a day.
4. Quit For Bad Habits:
- Lifestyle should be smoke free.
- It leads to increase the B.P and disease of stroke or coronary artery.
- Drinking leads to damage the liver, ill health and premature death.
- Alcoholism has the ability to destroy social or family relationship.
- It increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases, psychological & hormonal disturbance.
- It affects the personal health and also family, friends and communities.
5. Adequate Rest And Sleep:
- Take proper rest keeps us energetic and rejuvenate.
- Our bodies need proper time for rest & sleep to recover from daily stress.
- It helps in repair the damaged tissues.
- Enjoy sound sleep of at least 7-8 hours to be relaxed.
6. Periodical Medical Check Up:
- It should be a part of healthy lifestyle when a person the age of 40 years.
- It leads to detect the diseases timely and cure easily.
- It includes the checkup of Sugar Level, Cholesterol Level and Blood Pressure.
Physical Fitness, Wellness & Lifestyle: Questions Carrying 03 Marks
- What is the importance of Physical fitness and wellness?
- Explain the components of Physical fitness.
- Describe the components of Wellness.
- Explain the components of health related fitness.
- Explain importance of lifestyle in maintaining health.
- What are the various factors affecting physical fitness and wellness?
Physical Fitness, Wellness & Lifestyle: Questions Carrying 05 Marks
- Define Physical fitness. Explain its components.
- What are the various components of wellness?
- Elaborate the factors affecting physical fitness and wellness.
- Explain the importance of physical fitness and wellness.
- Describe the components of health related fitness.